GWU Issues Management

A blog established for the George Washington University School of Political Management's Issues Management course.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

A middle aged white guy, who likes to think, talk and, too infrequently, write about politics, religion and gadgets.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

You Are the Millennium Generation, What Does that Mean?

At its core, issues management is about communication. While the list of corporate functions involved in issues management is extensive, as I indicated in last week's class, issues are managed almost exclusively through communications. We are in the early stages of a communications revolution whose implications can only be guessed. But this revolution has huge implications for issues management and it's important for practioners to know where things are heading. Clues about the future exist in how your generation uses communications in your daily life. An article in the Sunday New York Times analyzes this phenomenon by describing the daily lives of some selected "millennials." Millennials are described as the generation born between 1980 and 2000. The significance of this generation is that it is the first generation who have never known life without the Internet and other new communications technologies. So, how millennials use these communications technologies are very suggestive of how everyone will use them in the years to come.

Here's my question: How does this compare with your daily life? Which of these communications technologies do you regularly use? Ipods, text messaging, instant messaging, TiVo, etc. etc.? Does this group accurately represent you or your contemporaries? Or is it different in Washington?

Here's where you can teach me. I consider myself an early adopter, at least for my generation. I have a blog (besides this one). I have an Ipod (which has changed my life). But, while my fifteen year old son is an inveterate instant messenger, I've never picked up that particular technology.

So, tell me, does this article, (link pasted below), tell the truth about your generation?

A Generation Serves Notice: It's a Moving Target - New York Times: "'We think that the single largest differentiator in this generation from previous generations is the social network that is people's lives, the part of it that technology enables,' said Jack McKenzie, a senior vice president at Frank N. Magid Associates, a market research and consulting firm specializing in the news media and entertainment industries. "

1 Comments:

Blogger Princeton Dem said...

To answer the first part(s) of your question, I have used almost all of the technologies in the article at one time or another. I also agree that there is something of a generational gap with technologies like instant messaging or texting. My parents, for example, can barely remember to charge their cell phones, nevermind start their own blogs.

I think the more powerful, and troubling, idea simmering beneth the text of the article is whether or not this generation will use this new technlogy for anything besides playing games and exchanging meaningless facts.

The article's Mr. Hanson, a reality TV star turned Internet mogul, doesn't read print newspapers because they are "so clunky and big." I suppose that's true, but it's not a very inspiring reason to rely on new technology. And he still seems to read the same content, just in a different form. I'm not convinced yet that simply looking online rather than offline for the same information represents a fundamental change, rather than a stylistic one.

I'm sure that last point will be hotly contested by the next poster...

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home