GWU Issues Management

A blog established for the George Washington University School of Political Management's Issues Management course.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

A middle aged white guy, who likes to think, talk and, too infrequently, write about politics, religion and gadgets.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Now That's What I'm Talkin' About

OK, thanks everyone who commented on the previous post. I truly enjoyed reading your posts. I am going to have to develop a scorecard so I know who's who.

I learned some things. For me, these new technologies tend to amaze. For you guys, they are simply tools. If they make things easier for you, you use them, if not, you don't. Very practical approach.

I remain convinced that anyone seeking to master issues management must be conversant with these technologies and where this is all heading. On the other hand, it is important not to get distracted by the latest fad. I was around to see the "Newton." Anybody every heard of that? I think it was an Apple device and was the original hand held. It was about the size of a brick and was supposed to be able to read handwriting. It couldn't and eventually became the source of much ridicule. So, it is right to be skeptical....to a point.

Be that as it may, let's move on.

On Tuesday, we will have an event that is "issues management" writ large, the President's State of the Union address. In general, these speeches generally don't move issues on their own, but they do identify issues in a pretty powerful way. The President has a unique ability to put issues on the policy agenda every day of the week. But State of the Union is where he lays it all out.

I don't think this one will have the drama of Clinton's 1998 State of the Union, which was delivered the day after Monica Lewinsky burst upon the American stage. But it is the first one delivered with the public largely in opposition to President Bush, both in general and in specific. The only issue where he commands a majority of the public support is terrorism. But advanced word suggests that healthcare will be a big topic.

So, here's the kind of comments I would like. Please give a review of the speech on Tuesday night or Wednesday. Identify the top three issues and give him a rating from 1 to 5 on how effectively he "managed" those "issues." Elaboration is welcomed, but not necessary. "One" suggests he was very effective and would likely enhance his chances for successful policy change on that issue. "Five" suggests total disaster in that he reduced his ability to achieve whatever goal he set out.

As always, comments can be lengthy and in-depth or just identify the issues with the ratings.

Oh, one final point of personal privilege. I take offense at anyone calling someone's desire for a plasma TV as "desperate." I resemble that remark.

See you Thursday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Princeton Dem said...

I'm not going to go into too much detail about what I thought of the speech. Generally, I thought it was a little hollow and I'd be surprised if the President gets more than a day or two of "bump" out of the speech.

As for the issues, I thought the speech was divided into three sections. For the opening, "Confrontation with 21st-century Totalitarianism" (because I refuse to say "War on Terror" one more time), the President gets a 3.

On the middle section, "American Economic Competitiveness," he gets a 4. The ideas were ok, but I don't think that speech reframed or measurably advanced energy independence or our role in the global marketplace.

Finally, on the section I guess I'll call "Domestic Tranquility" for serious lack of a better term, the President ranks another 4. I very rarely agree with the President on social issues, and last night was no exception. Even beyond that, I just didn't think he laid out a compelling vision on health care, civil rights, or honest government.

All in all, a missed opportunity. But, as George Stephanopoulos pointed out last night, "we're broke," so I'm not sure where the President could have summoned the resources of any major new initiatives anyway.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home