GWU Issues Management

A blog established for the George Washington University School of Political Management's Issues Management course.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

A middle aged white guy, who likes to think, talk and, too infrequently, write about politics, religion and gadgets.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Cheney

OK, I looked a little more closely at that web site I asked you to review in the previous post. Thank you walmart walter iii for a thoughtful post and I agree with you. This is some citizen with, frankly, few communications skills and no theme to the site. It doesn't rise to a level deserving of our note. walmart walter iii, you are excused from further commentary this week.

So, everyone else, let's comment on something more important, Dick Cheney's hunting accident. I thought Andrew Sullivan struck the right note below. I feel badly for Mr. Wittington. Like Sullivan and everyone else, I look forward to Jon Stewart's take tonight. And much as I would like to interpret this incident as revealing some larger truth about the Bush/Cheney Administration, it was, in the end, a hunting accident in which, fortunately, no one died. Actually, I kind of pity Cheney.

What do you think?


Andrew Sullivan The Daily Dish: The Cheney Kerfuffle: "Monday, February 13, 2006
The Cheney Kerfuffle
13 Feb 2006 04:46 pm
It's immensely enjoyable, isn't it, although I've yet to read or hear the best jokes. I guess I'll wait for Jon Stewart tonight. All I have to add is that the way in which the veep's office handled the incident reminded me exactly of similar mishaps among Britain's royal family. The job of telling the media is handed to some unfortunate lackey or courtier; the official line is always that the prince/king/queen/Cheney did nothing wrong; there's always a short media blackout so as not to put the monarch on the spot; then there's a backlash. The British royals have gotten better than they used to be. Our own elected monarchy could take a few lessons from them in media management. "

1 Comments:

Blogger Princeton Dem said...

I was having a hard time understanding why the Vice President didn't come out and apologize to the man he shot until I read a story in the Post yesterday (or maybe the day before). It was almost unfathomable to me how the Veep (or any other reasonable human being) could shoot an aquaintance in the face, and not have the urge to go on the record with a serious apology to the man and his family.

At any rate, the story quoted a number of Republican sources as saying that he had practiced surpressing his feelings in public for so long, in the interest of being a tougher politician, that expressing himself just wasn't an option. Their position was that he no longer had the capacity for any kind of public display of anything, other than articulating a political message.

While I'm sure that kind of detachment is a necessity for high-level public office today (Clinton was famous - infamous? - for his ability to compartmentalize events in his personal life), I think it could be a serious problem. Can we have a government capable of reaching out to and providing at least some services for those who are disenfranchised, if those running the govenment have had to surrender their empathy in order to reach high public office?

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home